Monday 30 November 2015

Book #55 Holy Island (DCI Ryan #1)

Holy Island: A DCI Ryan MysteryHoly Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery by L.J. Ross
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had no idea that there is a thriving community living on the holy island of Lindisfarne. L.J. Ross certainly made me aware of this and an internet search revealed a mass of information on this island located off the coast of Northumberland. So, a murder mystery located on an island that is twice a day cut off from the mainland as the causeway between the two becomes flooded. This adds to an eerie atmosphere, the idea of being shut off and secluded for hours every day.

Straight off we are launched into a murder scene, no time for preamble, Lucy Mathieson is murdered and her body is soon discovered in the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory. And there is something diabolical lurking beneath the surface. DCI Ryan has been recuperating on Holy Island following an horrific case, about which we hear more of later in the book. He decides he is ready to take up active duty again to investigate Lucy's murder and his senior officer brings in Anna Taylor, an expert in the field of paganism, as this murder has ritualistic overtones. Anna grew up on Holy Island.

And more, much more happens in this page turner. How many suspects can their be amongst this small community? I found myself coming up with my own theories and I was certainly correct about one of them. The plot is perhaps somewhat preposterous; if you read it I think you will see what I mean. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed Holy Island and look forward to reading the next in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment