Sunday 30 November 2014

Paco de Lucía - En Vivo

I have always loved the artistry of Paco de Lucía, the flamenco guitar god par excellence. I first heard his playing on a holiday to Spain in 1975; the wonderful album entitled 'Fuente y Caudal' that contains the classic track 'Entre Dos Aguas'. It was this track more than any that endeared me to his virtuosity.

I recently purchased 'En Vivo Conciertos Live In Spain 2010'. This two-CD set is culled from his 2010 Spanish tour.  De Lucía performs extended variations of eight of his compositions (almost every track surpasses the ten-minute mark) together with his new band of guitarist Antonio Sánchez, bassist Alain Pérez, singers David de Jacoba, harmonica player Antonio Serrano, and dancer Farru, all eminently up to de Lucía's notoriously high standards.


It was therefore with considerable sadness that I learned, only today, that Paco de Lucía died on 25th February this year, aged just 66. I had no idea. He retained his prodigious dexterity to the end.


If you love flamenco music give this artist a listen. Such a shame that he died so young...


No comments:

Post a Comment